Less than 45 minutes
Makes 10 large chunks
- 3 slabs (80g each) white chocolate
- 2 cups (400g) castor sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) water
- ¼ cup (60ml) honey
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) bicarbonate of soda
- Melt 2 slabs (160g) of chocolate over a double boiler.
- Spread over a 25cm-piece of bubble wrap.
- Chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Remove from fridge and store in a cool place (keeping it in the fridge for too long may produce a fatty layer or ‘bloom’ on the chocolate).
- Heat sugar, water and honey in a 3L pot.
- Stir until sugar dissolves, then boil until mixture turns amber gold. Don’t stir again once sugar has dissolved. (Make sure to brush sides of the pot with a pastry brush if any crystals start to form).
- Turn off heat and add bicarbonate of soda, whisking quickly to combine. (Be careful, as mixture will foam up to about 4 times the size.)
- Pour into a 30cm-deep baking tray lined with baking paper and set for 20 minutes. Cool completely.
- Break into chunks.
- Melt 1 slab (80g) chocolate.
- Dip one side of honeycomb chunks into melted chocolate and place, chocolate-side down, on the bubble-wrap chocolate.
- Set for 15-20 minutes and peel off bubble wrap before serving.