Less than 30 minutes
Makes 3 cups
Share with friends
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- 10 onions, chopped or sliced (red onions work well too)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 red chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 2 bay leaves (fresh or dry)
- Handful fresh thyme (optional)
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) butter
- 1 cup (250ml) balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup (125ml) brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) chilli flakes (optional)
- Salt and milled pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot and sauté onion for 8-10 minutes or until slightly golden, stirring at regular intervals.
- Stir through garlic, chilli, bay leaves and thyme, if using, and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add butter, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and chilli flakes, if using, and cook on a high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce to low-medium heat and stir occasionally until syrupy.
- Season well and remove bay leaves and thyme. Cool.
- Store marmalade in an airtight jar in the fridge. (Once opened, it can last for up to two months).
- Serve on thick slices of toasted ciabatta with gooey gorgonzola or crumbly blue cheese and slices of ham.