More than 30 minutes
Share with friends
- ½ cup (125g) sugar
- ¼ cup (60ml) water
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) butter, cubed
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) cream
- 1 roll (400g) puff pastry, rolled out to about 3mm
- 2-3 medium Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 whisked egg yolk, for glazing
- Whipped cream and mint, for serving
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Cut out a circle the size of a 22cm ovenproof tart pan or dish.
- Heat sugar and water in a saucepan.
- Stir until sugar dissolves, then bring to a boil. (Brush down the sides of the pot with water if crystals start to form).
- Boil until liquid turns amber and large bubbles appear(if using a kitchen thermometer, this will be at about 115°C).
- Carefully add butter and cream and swirl the pot to combine (do not stir, as this could cause the caramel to crystalise).
- Arrange apples in tart pan or dish and pour caramel evenly over them.
- Cover with pastry and brush with egg.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Turn out onto a plate.
- Serve with whipped cream and mint.