DIY Christmas cookie décor jar
The kids will absolutely love these jars!
More than 1 hour | Makes about 30 cookies
- 1 cup (250g) softened butter
- 1 cup (250g) brown sugar
- 1¼ cup (310ml) maple-flavoured syrup or molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla essence
- 5 cups (750g) cake flour
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp (10ml) ground ginger
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tsp (5ml) each bicarbonate of soda and salt
- ½ tsp (3ml) ground cloves
- 1 large glass jar
- Sprinkles of your choice
- Small piping bag filled with icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 190°C and line about 2 baking trays with baking paper
- Cream butter, sugar and maple-flavoured syrup or molasses until pale and fluffy.
- Gradually whisk in eggs and vanilla essence.
- Combine cake flour, spices, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Whisk wet mixture into dry ingredients until it comes together to form a dough.
- Roll out to about 2cm thick and allow to rest in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.
- Cut out dough using a gingerbread man cookie cutter.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes and cool completely.
- Fill a jar with 2-3 cookies, sprinkles of your choice and a small bag of icing sugar.
Enjoy this decadent butter over flapjacks or waffles – and you can even bake with it!
Less than 30 minutes | Makes about 1 (500ml) jar
- ½ cup (125ml) butter
- ½ cup (125ml) condensed milk
- ¼ cup (60ml) evaporated milk
- ½ packet (60 – 100g) each Oreo and shortbread cookies, crushed
- Heat butter over medium heat until melted.
- Add condensed milk, evaporated milk and stir until well-combined.
- Mix crushed cookies with about ½ cup (125ml) of butter mixture.
- Gradually add more of the butter mixture to the crumbs until it is moist enough to hold together. (If it is still too thick at this stage, add a little water until desired consistency.) Spoon into a 500ml jar.
- Store in the fridge for up to 1 month.
A punchy kit of flavours. You can add your mix straight to the jar!
More than 1 hour | Makes 2 (350ml) jars
- 1 cup (250ml) each water and sugar
- 2-3 variety Citrus, sliced (lemons, limes, grapefruit and oranges)
- Cinnamon sticks
- Juniper berries
- Star anise
- Black peppercorns
- Preheat oven to 100°C.
- Combine water and sugar and simmer over medium heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Add citrus slices and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove citrus from syrup and spread evenly onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Dehydrate in the oven for 40-60 minutes or until completely dry.
- Divide cinnamon sticks, juniper berries, star anise, black peppercorns and the dehydrated citrus between two 350ml glass jars.
- Add to your favorite gin or vodka with a mixer (like tonic water).