More than 1 hour
Share with friends
- 3 cups (400g) diced papaya
- 2cm knob ginger, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large chicken, spatchcocked
- Handful fresh coriander, for serving
- 4cm knob ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 green chillies, deseeded and chopped
- ⅓ cup (80ml) oil
- Salt and milled pepper
- Blitz papaya, ginger and garlic together in a food processor until smooth.
- Place chicken in a large bowl and coat with papaya marinade.
- Marinate in the fridge for 3 hours or overnight.
- Remove chicken, shaking excess marinade.
- Stir basting oil ingredients together.
- Place on a roasting tray in the oven and cook for 20 minutes at 200°C.
- Prepare medium-hot coals and secure chicken in a fold-out braai grid. (Alternatively, continue cooking in the oven for a further 15-20 minutes or until cooked through).
- Braai, basting with oil, until skin is crisp and meat juices run clear from a cut made in the thickest part of the drumstick.
- Serve with fresh coriander.