Less than 1 hour
- 4 cups (1L) milk
- 2 packets (900g) frozen smoked haddock
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- 2 chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup (60ml) butter
- ⅓ cup (80ml) flour
- 2 tsp (10ml) smoked paprika
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1½ cup (200g) grated mature cheddar
- 1 cup (125g) grated smoked cheddar (regular cheddar, gouda or mozzarella works well too)
- ⅘ packet (400g) par-cooked macaroni or pasta screws
- ½ punnet (10g) chopped fresh dill
- Juice (30ml) of ½ lemon
- Fresh parsley, for serving
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Heat milk in a large pot until steaming hot.
- Submerge frozen haddock portions in milk.
- Poach for 10-12 minutes or until the fish is flaky.
- Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Cool slightly and flake fish with a fork. Reserve warm milk.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot and sauté onions for 8 minutes or until soft.
- Add garlic and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add butter and melt completely.
- Add flour and 1 tsp (5ml) smoked paprika
- Stir to create a flour paste and cook for 2 minutes until it starts to bubble.
- Whisk in reserved milk, one ladle at a time. Season well.
- Add 1 cup (150g) grated mature cheddar and smoked cheddar, stirring until melted.
- Add flaked haddock, par-cooked macaroni or pasta screws, dill and lemon juice.
- Spoon into a round 30cm oven dish.
- Sprinkle with ½ cup (50g) grated mature cheddar and remaining smoked paprika.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crispy and golden.
- Garnish with parsley and serve hot.