Less than 1 hour
- 1 (about 1.4kg) free-range whole chicken
- Salt and milled pepper
- 2½ Tbsp (37ml) Mexican spice rub
- 4 mielies, cut into 8 portions
- 1 large packet (15) snacking peppers
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) butter, melted
- Juice (60ml) and grated peel of 2 limes
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped + extra for serving
- Sliced jalapeño chillies and limes, for serving (optional)
- Cut out the backbone of the chicken (using kitchen scissors or a knife), then turn over and flatten the bird by pressing on the breast and drumsticks. (Learn how to spatchcock a chicken here)
- Season chicken and rub with 2 Tbsp (30ml) Mexican spice.
- Cover with clingfilm and set aside for 30 minutes to come to room temperature.
- Prepare medium-hot coals on the braai.
- Enclose spatchcock chicken in a braai grid and braai for 30-40 minutes, turning every 3-4 minutes to cook evenly.
- Place mielies and peppers on grill while braaiing chicken, and char well for 5-10 minutes.
- Combine butter, lime peel and juice and coriander with leftover spice and brush over chicken for the last 5 minutes of braaiing. (Basting at the end won’t “catch” as it would if added at the beginning.)
- Serve chicken with jalapeños, coriander and slices of lime.