More than 1 hour
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1kg pork jowl or pork cheeks
- Glug olive oil
- 2 packets (200g each) bacon or pancetta, diced (optional)
- 2 packets (200g each) button mushrooms
- 1 packet (1kg) pickling onions, quartered
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ punnet (10g) fresh rosemary
- 4 cups (1L) red wine
- 600g potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ⅖ cup (100g) butter
- 2-4 Tbsp (30-60ml) cream
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Season pork.
- Heat oil in an ovenproof dish and brown meat.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add bacon or pancetta (if using), mushrooms, onion, garlic and rosemary to dish and cook until onions start to brown.
- Add wine, return meat to dish and cover.
- Cook in oven for 2½ hours or until pork is soft.
- Remove lid and reduce stew to desired consistency and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Cook potatoes in salted water until soft. Drain well.
- Add butter and cream, and mash until there are no lumps. Season.
- Serve stew with mash on the side