More than 1 hour
- 1kg short-grain sushi rice
- 3 ⅓ cups (830ml) water
- ¾ cup (180ml) rice vinegar
- ¼ cup (60ml) mirin or rice wine
- ¼ cup (60ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) salt
- 400g salmon fillet, cubed
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) white sesame seeds, plus 4 tsp (20ml) to sprinkle
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) sesame oil
- 2½ avocados, 2 peeled and quartered and ½ sliced
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) each Japanese mayonnaise and plain full-fat yoghurt
- Juice (30ml) of ½ lemon
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) wasabi
- 3 cups (750ml) cooked sushi rice (see ingredients above)
- 2 nori sheets
- 4 tsp (20ml) black sesame seeds
- 1 cucumber, sliced into ribbons
- A handful micro herbs
- Soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger, to serve
- To prepare sushi rice, rinse rice with cold water and drain. Repeat until water runs clear.
- Soak rice in a pot with water for 30 minutes.
- Heat vinegar, mirin or rice wine, sugar and salt in a saucepan over a medium-high heat.
- Stir to dissolve sugar, then simmer until reduced by a third. Allow to cool.
- Heat pot of rice over a medium-high heat.
- Cover with lid and bring to the boil. Do not lift lid or steam will escape.
- Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat further and steam, covered, for another 15-20 minutes.
- Remove rice from pot, place in a wooden bowl and pour over vinegar mixture.
- Mix rice with a wooden spoon in a cutting motion to separate grains.
- Stir and fan rice for 10 minutes until it reaches room temp and becomes slightly glossy.
- Grains should be separated and not clumped together.
- Set aside and keep covered with a damp cloth until using.
- Mix salmon, white sesame seeds and sesame oil together. Set aside to marinate.
- Combine quartered avo, mayonnaise, yoghurt, lemon juice and wasabi and blend until smooth with a stick blender to make avocado crema.
- Wet hands to handle rice.
- Divide prepared rice rice into three balls.
- Prepare two circles (with a diameter of about 20cm) of nori by cutting the corners off nori sheets.
- Place a ball of rice on both nori circles (rough side of nori facing upwards), and spread to cover.
- Sprinkle 4 tsp (20ml) each black and white sesame seeds over rice.
- Spread third rice ball into a disc so it’s the same size and shape as nori circles. This will be the cake base.
- Layer cucumber ribbons on this rice disc.
- Top with a nori and rice circle, spread half the avocado crema on top and place marinated salmon on top of that.
- Layer the other nori and rice circle on top and cover with avocado slices.
- Dollop with remaining avocado crema and herbs.
- Serve with soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger.