Less than 45 minutes
- Glug olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup (60ml) butter
- ¼ cup (60ml) flour
- 4 cups (1L) milk
- Salt and milled pepper
- Juice (120ml) of 2 lemons
- 4 cans (120g each) tuna, drained
- ½ punnet (10g) fresh parsley, chopped
- 400g penne pasta, cooked for 6 minutes
- 200g PnP cheddar cheese, grated
- Handful cherry tomatoes (optional)
- 1 tsp (5ml) smoked paprika (optional)
- Salad and bread, for serving (optional)
- Heat oil in a pot and sauté onions for about 8 minutes, or until soft and golden.
- Add garlic and butter and cook for a minute, allowing butter to melt completely.
- Stir flour into butter and let the flour paste bubble for 10 seconds.
- Add milk gradually while whisking, until all milk is added and the sauce is smooth.
- Cook for 2 minutes and season.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice, tuna and parsley.
- Combine sauce and pasta and transfer to a large ovenproof dish.
- Top with cheese, cherry tomatoes and paprika, if using.
- Bake at 200°C for 20-25 minutes until golden and bubbly.
- Serve hot out of the oven, with salad and bread on the side.
Add tomato paste to the white sauce for a tangy twist.