Less than 1 hour
IMAGE CREDIT Stylist: Liezl Vermeulen Photographer: Michael Le Grange
Just when you thought brownies couldn’t get any better… we bring you this crispy gooey delight!
- 4 large eggs
- 1½ cups (250g) castor sugar
- ⅘ cup (200g) butter
- 250g dark chocolate, chopped
- ⅔ cup (100g) flour, sifted
- 3 large egg whites
- Pinch salt
- ¾ cup (150g) castor sugar
- ½ Tbsp (7ml) apple cider vinegar
- 3 tsp (15ml) cornflour
- ¼ cup (30g) cocoa powder, sifted, plus extra for serving
- Preheat oven to 160°C and line a tart pan or an 18cm brownie pan with baking paper.
- Whisk eggs and castor sugar with an electric whisk for 5 minutes, or until pale and fluffy.
- Melt butter and chocolate in the microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring until melted. Cool slightly.
- Add chocolate mixture to egg mixture in a thin stream and whisk until well combined.
- Fold through flour and pour into prepared brownie pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until chocolate crust starts to crack and centre is slightly gooey. Set aside.
- Whisk egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form.
- Add castor sugar a spoonful at a time, whisking until dissolved before adding the next spoonful.
- Once smooth and glossy, whisk in vinegar for 2-3 minutes.
- Fold through cornflour and cocoa powder, taking care not to deflate the meringue.
(Move your spoon from top to bottom in a figure of 8 while rotating the bowl with your hand until the mixture is well combined.)
- Top brownie cake with meringue and return to oven for another 15 minutes, or until golden.
- Cool completely in brownie pan.
- Unmould and dust with extra cocoa powder just before serving.