Less than 30 minutes
Makes about 1 cup
Share with friends
- ½ packet (50g) pine nuts
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Pinch salt
- 2 punnets (20g each) fresh basil leaves
- 1 punnet (20g) fresh thyme, leaves picked
- ⅓ cup (80ml) olive oil
- ¼ cup (60ml) grated parmesan
- Juice (30ml) and grated peel of 1⁄2 lemon
- Milled pepper
- Toast the pine nuts in a pan – watch them as they burn easily. When golden and fragrant, remove and cool.
- Using a pestle and mortar, grind garlic, pine nuts and salt together until fine. (You can use a food processor to speed things up.)
- Add the basil and thyme and continue crushing for 7-10 minutes, or until a paste forms.
- Pour in olive oil slowly while mixing until it all comes together.
- Stir through the parmesan and lemon juice and peel.
- Season to taste. Store in an airtight container and refrigerate. This fresh pesto should last up to 5 days.