More than 1 hour
- Glug olive oil
- 1 packet (200g) PnP streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 medium (about 130g) orange sweet potato, cut into small cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves chopped
- Handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 1½ cups (130g) breadcrumbs
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 (about 1.3kg) whole free-range chicken, giblets removed
- 2 red onions, quartered
- 1 packet (1kg) baby potatoes
- Fresh coriander and roasted veg, for serving
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat and fry bacon until golden.
- Remove and set aside.
- Fry sweet potato cubes in same pan until just starting to caramelise.
- Add onion, garlic and herbs and sauté for 5-8 minutes.
- Tip in breadcrumbs and bacon; cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Season and cool a little.
- Mix in the egg.
- Season chicken on the outside and inside.
- Fill cavity with stuffing. (See Cook’s note)
- Place chicken breast-side up. Run kitchen string underneath base of wings and pull up through wings.
- Pull string towards the neck section (top of the chicken) and cross the string over. (Click here for the full guide.)
- Bring string down the sides, hooking in wing tips and threading under drumsticks.
- Loop around the ends of the drumsticks and cross string over to secure with a knot. Season.
- Toss red onions and potatoes with oil, season and place in baking tray with chicken.
- Roast for 60-80 minutes, basting regularly with juices.
- Serve with coriander, roasted veg and pan juices.
When prepping the chicken, you can also add butter. Combine ¼–½ cup (60–125ml) soft butter with fresh herbs such as parsley, thyme and rosemary. Loosen skin at the bottom edge of breasts (just above cavity) and spread butter under the skin. As it roasts, the butter melts into the chicken.