45 minutes (plus marinating time)
- 2 cups (500ml) buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 4-6 chicken breast fillets
- 1½ cups (225g) flour
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) smoked paprika
- 1 tsp (5ml) dried Italian herbs
- 1 tsp (5ml) dried basil
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) onion powder
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) mustard powder
- Salt and milled pepper
- Oil for deep-frying
- 8 PnP white burger buns
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) spicy mayonnaise
- Shredded lettuce leaves
- Whisk together buttermilk and egg.
- Season chicken breast fillets and slice in half horizontally (for thin fillets).
- Marinate chicken in buttermilk mixture for 20–30 minutes.
- Mix flour, spices and herbs and season.
- Remove chicken from marinade and allow excess to drip off.
- Coat in seasoned flour and shake off excess.
- Rest on a rack for 15 minutes.
- Deep-fry for about 10 minutes, or until golden and cooked.
- Slice open buns, toast and spread spicy mayonnaise on bottom half.
- Top with chicken and shredded lettuce.
- Sandwich closed to serve.