Less than 45 minutes
Share with friends
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) butter
- 1 cup (200g) pearl barley
- 3 cups (750ml) water or stock
- ½ cup (60ml) grated parmesan
- Handful fresh herbs, chopped (we used coriander and parsley)
- 1 cup (250ml) cream (optional)
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 punnet (250g) cherry tomatoes, blistered
- 1 packet (200g) streaky bacon or parma ham, cooked until crispy (optional)
- Heat butter in a large pot and sauté barley for 3-5 minutes.
- Add ½ cup (125ml) water or stock and cook barley, stirring constantly, for 5-8 minutes until liquid evaporates.
- Add remaining water or stock, simmer gently for 20 minutes and stir regularly until barley is cooked through.
- Stir through parmesan, herbs and cream, if using. Season well.
- Serve risotto with blistered tomatoes and crispy bacon/ham, if you like.