More than 1 hour
- 6 egg whites
- 1½ cups (300g) castor sugar
- Pinch salt
- Seeds of 1 vanilla pod
- Red food colouring
- 4 candy canes or any other red and white sweets, crushed
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) sprinkles
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Berries and ice cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 110°C.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and draw a 30cm circle in the centre.
- Prepare 2 piping bags fitted with round nozzles.
- Whisk egg whites until soft peaks form and add sugar, a heaped tablespoon at a time, whisking continuously until fluffy and stiff.
- Whisk in salt and vanilla.
- Dip a clean paintbrush into the food colouring and paint 3-5 stripes onto the inside of the piping bag.
- Spoon one third of meringue into that bag and one third into the other.
- Fold candy cane bits into remaining meringue and dollop 5 big spoonfuls onto the circle a few centimetres apart, forming a ring.
- Pipe dollops of various sizes of striped and plain meringue in between to form a wreath, and scatter with sprinkles.
- Bake for 1-1½ hours until crisp before removing from oven. Cool completely.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve with berries and ice cream.