Less than 30 minutes
Share with friends
- 1 punnet (150g) baby leeks, washed and trimmed
- Glug oil
- Salt and milled pepper
- ½ block (125g) butter + extra for brushing
- Handful fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 1 clove garlic
- Squeeze lemon juice
- ½ cup (125ml) each grated cheddar and mozzarella
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 1kg store-bought bread dough
- For leek butter, drizzle baby leeks with oil and season well.
- Place on a grid over hot coals and grill for 1-2 minutes or until charred and cooked through, turning every few seconds. Set aside to cool.
- Blitz leeks with butter, thyme and garlic in a blender.
- Season and add a squeeze of lemon if needed.
- For roosterkoek, combine cheese and thyme.
- Knock down bread dough and divide into 6-8 portions.
- Stretch each portion into a rough disc using your fingers.
- Place 2-3 Tbsp (30-45ml) cheese mixture into the centre of each disc.
- Fold over the sides and pinch all around to enclose filling.
- Place roosterkoek over medium coals and cook for 4-5 minutes, brushing with extra melted butter and turning regularly.
- Serve cheesy roosterkoek with leek butter.