More than 1 hour (plus marinating time)
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- ½ Tbsp (7ml) salt (preferably flakes)
- Milled pepper
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) coriander seeds, toasted
- 2 tsp (10ml) olive oil
- 3 sprigs rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- 1.5kg deboned leg of lamb, secured with string
- 1 punnet (20g) Italian parsley, leaves only
- 1 large clove garlic
- Salt and milled pepper
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- Juice (30ml) of ½ lemon
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) olive oil + extra for tossing
- 2 anchovies, finely chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Crush garlic, pepper, coriander seeds, olive oil and rosemary using a pestle and mortar to create a paste.
- Rub all over lamb and rest for 20-30 minutes to bring meat to room temperature.
- Grill meat over medium coals (you should be able to hold your hand over coals for 5 seconds) for 10-15 minutes, turning regularly.
- Remove from coals and wrap in foil.
- Roast in oven for 10-15 minutes or cook in a kettle braai for a medium-rare roast.
- Rest meat for about 10 minutes.
- Finely chop gremolata ingredients and toss with extra olive oil.
- Serve meat thinly sliced with gremolata on the side.