More than 1 hour (plus marinating time)
- ½ cup (125ml) soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 3cm knob ginger, grated
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) Shaoxing wine or sherry
- 1 tsp (5ml) Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 tsp (5ml) fine salt
- 1 (1.4kg) whole chicken
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) sesame seeds
- Steamed pak choi, Tasty stem broccoli, coriander and spring onion, for serving
- Combine marinade ingredients.
- Place chicken in a zip-seal bag and pour over marinade.
- Marinate in the fridge overnight, turning chicken a few times to coat well.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Remove chicken from marinade and place on a plate to dry out for 2-4 hours in the fridge.
- Place chicken in a roasting pan and cook for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 140°C and cook for a further 20-25 minutes or until cooked through.
- Scatter chicken with sesame seeds and serve greens, coriander and spring onion on the side.