More than 1 hour
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- ¾ cup (180ml) sugar
- 2 cups (500ml) cream
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups (80g) mint leaves
- 5 jumbo egg yolks
- 1 drop green food colouring
- 2 (49g each) Peppermint Crisp chocolates, chopped
- Heat milk, sugar, 1 cup (250ml) cream, salt and mint in a medium pot until steaming hot.
- Remove from heat, cover, and infuse for 1 hour.
- Strain milk, pressing with a spatula to extract as much flavour as possible. Discard mint.
- Reheat infused milk.
- Whisk yolks in a separate bowl and slowly add a little hot infused milk to whisked egg.
- Add egg mixture to the milk in the pot, whisking constantly.
- Stir until thickened to a custard-like consistency covering the back of a wooden spoon.
- Pour remaining cream into a large bowl. Pass custard through a fine sieve and add to cream.
- Add colouring.
- Place bowl over an ice bath until cool, then refrigerate overnight.
- Freeze in a large container, beating with an electric whisk every hour until thick and slushy.
- Stir through chopped chocolate.
- Scoop into a freezer-proof container, cover and freeze until firm.