30 minutes (excluding chill time)
Makes 500ml (Serves 6-8)
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) butter, for frying
- 2 onions or 4-5 shallots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3-4 curry leaves
- 2 tubs (250g each) chicken livers, defrosted and cleaned
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) medium curry powder
- 1 tsp (5ml) garam masala
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground coriander
- 1/3 cup (80ml) fresh cream
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) butter, melted + ¼ cup (60ml) extra, for topping
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) fresh coriander, chopped
- Juice (30ml) of ½ lemon
- Salt and milled pepper
- Few sprigs fresh curry leaves or bay leaves
- 1 packet (200g) streaky bacon, fried until crispy
- Toasted ciabatta or sourdough
- Heat butter in a large pan and fry onions, garlic and curry leaves for 3-4 minutes until lightly golden.
- Add chicken livers, give it a quick stir and add curry powder, garam masala and ground coriander.
- Fry mixture for 8-10 minutes on medium heat until livers are cooked through.
- Remove curry leaves and set aside to cool.
- Blitz mixture in a blender with cream and 3 Tbsp melted butter until smooth (not too runny).
- Stir through fresh coriander and lemon juice and season well.
- Scoop pâté mixture into a sterilised 500ml jar or serving ramekin and level with the back of a spoon.
- Pour over ¼ cup melted butter to “seal” and nestle in curry or bay leaves.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 2-3 hours until set.
- Serve on thick slices of ciabatta or sourdough toast with crispy bacon.