Makes about 4 cups
- Glug olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 each chopped red and yellow peppers, chopped
- 1 packet (250g) quartered mushrooms, quartered
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) tomato paste
- 8-10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tsp (10ml) dried Italian herbs
- ½ cup (100g) pitted black olives, chopped
- ½ cup (125ml) white wine
- 2 cups (500ml) chicken stock
- 2 cans (400g each) chopped tomatoes
- Salt and milled pepper
- Handful each chopped fresh parsley and basil
- Heat oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Sauté onion and carrots for 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, peppers, mushrooms and tomato paste and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add thyme, Italian herbs and olives, and fry for a minute.
- Stir white wine, stock and chopped tomatoes. Season.
- Simmer for 25-35 minutes over low heat.
- Stir in a handful each chopped fresh parsley and basil, and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.