Less than 1 hour
- 2 cans (400g each) brown lentils
- 2 cans (400g each) chickpeas
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp (10ml) PnP ginger, garlic and chilli paste
- 2 tsp (10ml) ground cumin, turmeric and curry powder
- ½ -1 tsp (3-5ml) each chilli flakes and salt
- Dash milled pepper
- Grated peel of 2 lemons
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (125ml) good-quality canola and olive oil blend
Glug olive oil
- 1 packet (200g) PnP tasty stem broccoli
- 1 packet (150g) English spinach
- 2 red onions, cut into thin wedges
- 1 cup (250ml) PnP plain double-cream yoghurt
- Handful fresh parsley, dill and/or mint, chopped
- Juice (60ml) and grated peel of 1 lemon
- Salt and milled pepper
- Rinse and drain lentils and chickpeas.
- Spread out on a baking tray and dry out in the oven at 180°C for 8-10 minutes. (If you’re short on time, toast them in batches in a dry pan on high heat.)
- Combine chickpeas and lentils with remaining fritter ingredients in a food processor and pulse into a chunky mixture. (Don’t over-mix or you’ll end up with a paste.)
- Shape mixture into 12 fritters.
- Heat 2cm oil in a heavy-bottomed pan on high heat.
- Fry fritters in 2 batches until golden on both sides, about 6 minutes.
- Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm.
- Flash-fry vegetables in oil over high heat until tender but still bright.
- For the dipping sauce, combine all the ingredients and season to taste.
- Serve fritters with vegetables and dipping sauce on the side.
We’ve kept the fritters light and crisp. If you prefer them more dense and less fragile for easy frying, add an extra egg and 3 Tbsp (45ml) flour.