Less than 1 hour
Makes about 2½ cups
- 500g whole mandarins
- 2 oranges, halved
- 1 lemon, halved
- 4 cups (1L) water
- 4 cups (800g) sugar
- Star anise
- Place mandarins, oranges, lemon, and water in a pot, weighing down with a plate to keep fruit submerged.
- Boil for 15 minutes.
- Remove fruit and cool, reserving cooking liquid in pot and discarding lemon.
- Peel fruit and remove white pith from peels using a sharp knife (reserve pith) and cut peels into 3mm strips.
- Slice mandarin and orange flesh into small pieces, saving any juice and adding to pot.
- Place reserved pith and pips of fruit into a cheesecloth and tie closed.
- Dissolve sugar in reserved cooking liquid on low heat, stirring.
- Add star anise, strips of peel, fruit pieces and pith bundle.
- Bring to a boil for 20-30 minutes, until a thick jam-like consistency. (Remember, it will get thicker once cooled.)
- Discard pith bundle.
- Spoon into an airtight container and use within 1-2 weeks, or into sterilised jars to store for longer.