More than 2 hours
MAKES 4 x 500ML JARS
Share with friends
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup (100g) castor sugar
- Generous pinch salt
- A few drops food colouring
- ½ tsp (3ml) flavourings of choice, such as chilli flakes, pepper, cinnamon or coffee powder (optional)
- ⅝ cup (125g) castor sugar
- ½ cup (125ml) golden syrup
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) water
- 1½ tsp (8ml) bicarbonate of soda
- For meringues, preheat oven to 100°C.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Whisk egg whites to stiff peaks, then add sugar a tablespoon at a time, whisking continuously until thick and glossy and sugar has dissolved, about 8-10 minutes in total.
- Fold through colouring and flavouring, if using.
- Spoon mixture into a piping bag and pipe 2cm-wide drops on tray.
- Bake for 1 hour, turn off heat and leave meringues to cool in the oven for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- For honeycomb, line a 20cm square pan with baking paper and spray with nonstick spray.
- Heat castor sugar, syrup and water in a large pot (mixture will expand a lot, so a big pot is essential) over low heat.
- Stir until sugar is just dissolved, then bring to a boil and don’t stir again.
- Boil until sugar is a deep amber colour with large bubbles (150°C).
- Stir in bicarbonate of soda and mix vigorously to avoid any lumps (take care as the mixture will foam up and be very hot).
- Pour into a lined pan and leave to cool and harden for about 30 minutes before breaking apart.
- Assemble gift jars, place honeycomb chunks and meringue drops in airtight jars for gifting, or store in an airtight container.