More than 1 hour
- 1 head garlic, cloves peeled
- 2kg lamb shoulder
- 8 anchovy fillets, halved
- Handful rosemary sprigs
- Glug olive oil
- Salt and milled pepper
- 2 red onions, thickly sliced
- 2 punnets (about 200g each) cherry tomatoes on the vine
- ½ bottle (375ml) dry white wine
- 2-3 tsp (10-15ml) cornflour, mixed with a little cold water
- Handful calamata olives, pips removed
- Handful flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Hasselback sweet potatoes, for serving
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Quarter 4 fat garlic cloves lengthways.
- Using a slim, sharp knife, make deep slits in lamb and insert anchovies, garlic and rosemary into each slit.
- Rub lamb with oil and season well.
- Place onion, tomatoes and any remaining anchovies, garlic and rosemary into a roasting pan.
- Place lamb on top of vegetables and pour wine into pan, cover tightly with foil and roast for 3 hours or until tender.
- Remove meat and place on a baking sheet.
- Increase oven temperature to 200°C and brown meat in oven for 15 minutes.
- Drain fat from pan juices, then strain into a pot.
- Heat juices, add cornflour mixture and stir through olives and parsley.
- Serve lamb with sauce and Hasselback sweet potatoes.