Chilli chicken wings:
- 16-20 chicken wings
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 tsp (5ml) garlic powder
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) olive oil
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) smoked paprika
- 2 tsp (10ml) ground chipotle chilli or cayenne pepper
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked
Sticky sweet chilli chicken skewers:
- 3 packets ( 12) chicken thighs, deboned leaving skin on
- Salt and milled pepper
- ¾ cup (180ml) water
- ½ cup (125ml) sugar
- ½ cup (125ml) rice or white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ tsp (3ml) paprika
- 1-2 fresh chillies, chopped finely (optional)
- 1-2 Tbsp (15-30ml) sambal oelek (or chilli paste of choice works too)
- 2-3 tsp (10-15ml) cornflour, mixed with a little water to create a runny paste
- 1 pineapple
- 2 tsp (10m) chipotle powder or cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp (5ml) smoked paprika
- 3 Tbsp (4ml) brown sugar
- Corn chips, sriracha mayo, limes and sliced chilli for serving (optional)
- Cut chicken wings into smaller portions, buffalo-wing style (see cook’s note). Season well.
- Combine remaining chicken wing ingredients to make wet rub.
- Cover chicken wings with rub, using your fingers to spread mixture evenly.
- Set aside at room temperature for 20-30 minutes for flavours to infuse.
- Thread 2 chicken thighs on a skewer, making about 7-10 skewers. Season well.
- For sweet chilli sauce, combine water, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce and garlic in a pot and ring to a simmer, cooking for 5 minutes.
- Add spice and chilli paste and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in cornflour, turn up heat to a bubbling simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes until thick and glossy.
- Braai skewers over hot coals for 10-12 minutes, until skim is charred.
- Halfway through braaiing, start basting chicken skewers all over with sauce, braaiing for another 10 minutes.
- Cut whole pineapple into 6 wedges (keeping skin on, if you like).
- Rub pineapple with spice and sugar.
- Prepare medium-hot braai coals – you’re ready to braai when you can hold your hand above grid for 7 seconds.
- Place chicken wings, skewers and pineapple on braai grid.
- Braai chicken wings and pineapple for 12-15 minutes over the hottest spot
- Braai chicken skewers for 20-25 minutes, starting to baste chicken skewers halfway through cooking. Keep on basting skewers when turning every 2-3 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve wings, skewers and pineapple on a platter for serving.