Less than 45 minutes
IMAGE CREDIT Stylist: Liezl Vermeulen Photographer: Donna Lewis
Ripe bananas become something other than just a loaf in this budget-friendly indulgent pudding.
- 1 cup (250ml) butter
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup (250ml) sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1½ cups (375ml) cake flour
- ½ Tbsp (7ml) baking powder
- ⅔ cup (160ml) butter
- 1½ cups (375ml) sugar
- 1 tub (250ml) cream
- Ice cream or whipped cream for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Heat butter over high heat until foamy. Cool in a mixing bowl.
- Add bananas, sugar and eggs. Whisk to combine.
- Sift cake flour and baking powder together and fold through.
- Bake in an ovenproof dish for 20-25 minutes, or until well browned.
- For the sauce, heat butter in a large saucepan over high heat until foamy.
- Add sugar and cream and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5-6 minutes, or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Pour sauce over hot pudding and allow to soak in.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream, if you like.
Cook’s note: This pudding is a potent, sweet one, especially If using overripe bananas. If you don’t have much of a sweet tooth, you can choose to use only half the sugar for the sauce.