Less than 1 hour
- 2 onions, finely diced
- Olive or canola oil, for frying
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp (10ml) paprika
- 2 cups (500ml) long-grain white rice or risotto rice
- 1 cup (250ml) white wine or stock
- 4 cups (1L) chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) butter
- ½ cup (50g) parmesan, grated
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 can (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 1 sachet (50g) tomato paste
- 200g green beans, cleaned and chopped
- 2 tsp (10ml) mixed herbs (or a handful of fresh thyme and rosemary)
- ½ tsp (3ml) sugar
- ¼ cup (60ml) flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup (250ml) breadcrumbs
- Fry 1 onion in a glug of oil.
- Add half the garlic and paprika and fry for a minute.
- Add rice, wine and 3 cups (750ml) stock.
- Simmer over a low heat until all liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and parmesan. Season well.
- Cover and cool.
- For the sauce, fry remaining onion and garlic in a glug of oil until golden.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, beans and remaining stock, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season with mixed herbs, sugar, salt and pepper.
- To make the arancini, scoop ½ cup (125ml) cooked rice and roll into a ball. Repeat with remaining rice.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Coat each ball in flour, then egg, then crumbs.
- Spoon tomato sauce into an ovenproof dish and arrange arancini in sauce.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with basil.