Less than 30 minutes
Share with friends
- 2 cups (500g) softened butter
- 4 cups (520g) sifted icing sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla essence
- Food colouring of choice
- 1 batch chocolate cupcakes (or store bought)
- Chocolate sandwich biscuits, for serving
- Chocolate covered raisins, for serving
- For buttercream, whisk softened butter with an electric beater until pale and fluffy
- Add sifted icing sugar in two batches to ensure the mixture is lump-free.
- Add vanilla essence and food colouring, if you like, mixing thoroughly.
- Cover with clingfilm and store at room temperature.
- Add a splash of hot water if buttercream has hardened or is too thick to spread.
- For bat cakes, top 8 chocolate cupcakes with ½ portion buttercream.
- Separate one chocolate sandwich biscuit into 2 discs.
- Using butterceam, secure 2 chocolate-covered raisins on one disc to form eyes.
- Add a splash of boiling water to ¼ cup (60g) buttercream to soften and place in a piping bag.
- Pipe fangs onto bats using remaining buttercream.
- Slice the remaining disc in half and secure with buttercream to create wings.
- Repeat until you have 8 bats.
- Place bats on cupcakes.