More than 1 hour
- 3kg turkey
- Salt and milled pepper
- 4 oranges
- Handful sage, roughly chopped
- ½ cup (125g) butter, softened
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- Remove giblets from turkey cavity. Rinse and pat dry.
- Season cavity with salt and milled pepper.
- Grate orange peel then halve oranges.
- Combine orange peel, sage, butter and one crushed garlic clove in a bowl.
- Loosen skin over turkey breast and spread flavoured butter underneath.
- Stuff 3 orange halves and 4 garlic cloves into cavity.
- Prepare medium coals in a Weber.
- Place turkey, breast-side up, on the grid.
- Add remaining oranges cut-side down on the grid and grill until caramelised. Set aside.
- Cover turkey and braai over medium coals for two and a half hours, turning frequently to prevent skin from burning. (To test whether the turkey is cooked through, make a cut in the thickest part of the thigh – if it’s cooked, the meat juices will run clear).
- Baste with any meat juices.
- Remove from heat and rest turkey for 30 minutes.
- Slice and serve with grilled oranges.