Less than 45 minutes
Share with friends
- Glug olive oil
- 2 large brinjals, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 cans (400g each) chopped tomatoes
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 large sprig thyme
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- Salt and milled pepper
- Handful fresh basil, torn
- 1 packet (500g) penne, cooked according to packet instructions
- 1 packet (500g) ricotta cheese
- 1 cup (250ml) grated parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs, whisked
- ¾ cup (180ml) milk
- Roasted vine tomatoes and fresh basil, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and fry diced brinjal until well browned.
- Stir through garlic and fry until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, cinnamon, thyme and water, and simmer for 15 minutes or until slightly reduced and the flavours have developed.
- Remove cinnamon and thyme, then season well and stir through basil and cooked pasta.
- Spoon into a baking dish.
- Whisk cheeses, eggs and milk together until smooth.
- Season and pour over pasta.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Divide pasta between bowls and top with roasted vine tomatoes and fresh basil just before serving, if you like.