Less than 1 hour
Serves 8 (as a side)
- 4 large aubergines, halved
- Glug olive oil
- Salt and milled pepper
- ⅓ cup (80ml) piri-piri sauce
- ½ bulb fennel
- ½ punnet (10g) each mint and coriander
- 2 Mediterranean cucumbers
- ½ cup (125ml) PnP double-cream yoghurt
- Handful each pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds (optional)
- ½ tsp (3ml) cumin seeds (optional)
- Prepare medium-hot coals – you should be able to keep your hand above the grid for 8-10 seconds.
- Brush aubergines with oil and season well.
- Char on braai grid for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from grid, brush with piri-piri sauce and wrap each aubergine in foil.
- Nestle parcels around the coals and cook for 15 minutes until soft and well-browned. (Be sure to turn parcels now and then to distribute heat evenly.)
- Cut fronds off fennel and chop finely, along with mint and coriander.
- Slice fennel bulb and cucumbers thinly.
- Toss herbs, fennel and cucumber with yoghurt and season.
- Toss seeds, if using, in a glug of olive oil in a hot pan until fragrant and popping.
- Serve aubergines warm with cucumber salad, sprinkled with seed mixture.