- 2 Tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- 2 packets (800g) PnP butternut soup mix (or 1.5kg butternut cubes and 2 diced onions)
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
- 1 red chilli, pierced (optional)
- 4 cups (1L) vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 can (400g) coconut milk or coconut cream
- 1½ cups (375ml) water
- Salt and milled pepper
- ¼ cup (60g) butter
- Juice (60ml) of 2 limes or 1 lemon
- Sambal oelek (chilli paste) and naan, for serving (optional)
- Heat oil in a large 6L pot and brown vegetable mix and lemongrass over high heat for 5-8 minutes.
- Add chilli, stock, coconut milk and water, and season.
- Simmer on high for 30-35 minutes, or until butternut is soft. (Keep uncovered while cooking if you want a thicker soup.)
- Remove from heat, discard the chilli and lemongrass, and blitz soup until smooth.
- Stir in butter (this gives it a silky smooth finish) and add lime or lemon juice.
- Serve with sambal oelek, if you like, and naan bread.