Makes 16 squares
- 1 cup (150g) cake flour
- 1 cup (150g) semolina flour
- ¼ cup (50g) brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) baking powder
- ½ tsp (3ml) bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup (250ml) amasi (buttermilk works well too)
- ¼ cup (60ml) honey
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 cup (125g) cheddar cheese, grated
- Honey, butter and chives, for serving
- Preheat oven to 200°C .
- Grease a 20cm square baking tin and line with baking paper.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Whisk together amasi, honey and eggs in a separate bowl.
- Add amasi mixture to dry ingredients and mix well to create a smooth, lump-free batter.
- Fold in grated cheese and spoon batter into prepared tin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool for about 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
- Serve with honey, butter and chives.
COOK’S NOTE: Want a bit of a kick? Add ½ tsp (3ml) cayenne pepper to the batter.