Share with friends
- 1 cup (250g) butter at room temperature
- 2 cups (400g) dark brown or caramel sugar (not light brown)
- 1 large egg + 1 large yolk
- 1 tsp (5ml) caramel flavouring (or vanilla works well too)
- 2½ cups (375g) self-raising flour
- ½ tsp (3ml) fine salt
- ½ cup (100g) sugar of choice, for coating
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Line 2 baking trays.
- Cream butter and dark sugar together for 5-8 minutes.
- Add egg, egg yolk and caramel (or vanilla) flavouring, and mix well.
- Add flour and salt, and mix to create a solid dough (taking care not to overmix it).
- Roll dough into balls in the palm of your hand, then roll in sugar to coat.
- Place on baking trays 5-6cm apart as they will spread out.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden.
- Cool in the trays until crisp, then place on a wire rack to cool down completely.
- Bake another batch with leftover dough.
- Store cookies in an airtight container.