More than 1 hour
- Bones from 2 rotisserie chickens (meat reserved, see cook’s note)
- 4 carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 onions, quartered
- 2 stalks celery, cut into chunks
- 2 bulbs garlic, halved in the middle
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 4 star anise
- 6 black peppercorns
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
- Divide bones between two large pots.
- Cover with cold water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15–20 minutes. (This blanches bones to remove any impurities that might cloud the stock.)
- Drain and rinse bones thoroughly.
- Arrange veggies, garlic and bones on baking trays in a single layer.
- Roast at 200°C for 50–60 minutes, giving the trays a shake halfway through.
- Transfer roasted bones and veg to one or two 5L pots, add spices and vinegar, and top up with water (enough to cover).
- Simmer for 8–12 hours over low heat, skimming the surface occasionally. (Make sure bones are fully submerged at all times – top up with water if needed.)
- Strain broth and discard veggies and bones.
- Cool before transferring to a container.