Less than 45 minutes
Makes 2-3 sandwiches
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- ¾ cup (180ml) apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup (180ml) hot water
- ½ cup (125ml) sugar
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- Pinch of yellow mustard seeds (optional)
- 1 star anise (optional)
- Salt and milled pepper
- 3 chicken breast fillets, butterflied and thinned to schnitzel size
- Glug olive oil
- ¼ cup (60ml) soy sauce
- Squeeze of lemon or lime juice
- 2–3 Tbsp (30–45ml) sesame seeds
- 2 cups (170g) thinly shredded red and green cabbage
- 2–3 carrots, thinly sliced into matchsticks
- ½ loaf (6 slices) seeded bread loaf
- 1 packet (100g) PnP crimson leaf mix
- 1–2 avocados, thickly sliced
- Radishes and microherbs, for garnish (optional)
- Combine pickled salad ingredients and set aside for 30 minutes. (Drain after 30 minutes if you prefer a very crisp pickle, like we do.)
- Season chicken well and heat oil in a pan over high heat.
- Fry chicken until golden brown, about 3 minutes a side.
- Add soy sauce, lemon or lime juice and sesame seeds.
- Turn heat down slightly and cook for a further 4–8 minutes.
- Combine cabbage and carrots.
- Season and drizzle with olive oil.
- Layer 3 bread slices with pickled slaw, chicken, leafy salad, rainbow slaw, avocado, radishes and microherbs.
- Sandwich closed with remaining bread slices.
- Serve immediately or wrap in baking paper and place in an airtight container for up to 1 day.