Less than 1 hour
Share with friends
- 2 cans (410g each) red kidney or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ½ Tbsp (7ml) each ground coriander, cumin and smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) each Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce
- ½ cup (125ml) PnP bakery fresh breadcrumbs
- 1-2 discs (60-80g each) feta, crumbled
- 1 large egg
- 2 avocados
- Juice (60ml) and grated peel of 1 lemon
- Salt and milled pepper
- ½ tsp (3ml) smoked paprika
- Handful fresh coriander
- A few dashes Tabasco (optional)
- 4 burger buns, sliced tomato and baby gem lettuce, for serving
- Place beans on kitchen paper and dry well.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and sauté onion and peppers for 8-10 minutes or until golden.
- Add garlic, spices and sauces and cook for a minute.
- Mix onion mixture with beans and remaining patty ingredients.
- Blitz mixture in batches to a coarse crumb – it shouldn’t turn into mash or purée.
- Shape into four patties and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or until firm.
- Pan-fry over high heat for 3-4 minutes a side.
- Smash avocado and combine with remaining ingredients.
- Top buns with tomato and lettuce, patties and avocado smash.