Less than 30 minutes
Makes 2 cups
Share with friends
- Glug olive oil
- 1 punnet (350g) exotic mushrooms
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, sliced
- Handful fresh thyme and sage + extra chopped
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) butter
- 1 punnet (250g) white button mushrooms, chopped
- ¼ cup (60ml) white wine (optional)
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) flour
- 1 cup (250ml) cream
- 1 cup (250ml) sour cream
- Pinch cayenne pepper or paprika (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pan and brown exotic mushrooms in batches.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Fry onion, garlic and the handful of herbs in the same pan for 3-4 minutes.
- Add butter and button mushrooms.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add wine, if using, and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir through flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Return exotic mushrooms to the pan, turn heat down and add cream, sour cream and the chopped herbs.
- Simmer gently for 5-6 minutes.
- Season well and sprinkle with cayenne or paprika, if using.
COOK’S NOTE: When working with cream, sour cream or mascarpone in sauces, remember to simmer over a very low heat or the sauce will split.