More than 1 hour
- 2 packets (80g each) raspberry jelly
- 1 cup (250ml) raspberries
- 1 cup (250ml) strawberries, quartered
- ½ cup (125g) butter, softened
- 1¼ cup (285g) castor sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) buttermilk
- 2 tsp (10ml) vanilla seeds or essence
- ½ cup (125ml) strong coffee
- 2 cups (500ml) self-raising flour
- ½ cup (60g) dark chocolate cocoa
- ½ tsp (3ml) salt
- ½ cup (85g) dark chocolate, melted
Chantilly cream cheese:
- 2 tubs (500ml) cream
- ½ cup (125ml) castor sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) cream cheese
- Lemon juice to taste
- 1 cup (250ml) icing sugar
- 1 packet (100g) almonds, toasted
- 1 tub (1kg) chocolate mousse
- Strawberries, raspberries and mint and meringue kisses, for serving
- Preheat oven to 160°C and line a 23cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Prepare jelly according to packet instructions then pour into trifle dish and allow to semi-set before stirring in berries.
- Return to the fridge and allow to set completely.
- For the sponge, whisk butter and sugar until pale, fluffy and triple in volume.
- Add eggs one at a time, combining fully each time.
- Whisk in buttermilk, vanilla and coffee.
- Sift flour and cocoa together, add salt and combine with egg mixture.
- Fold through melted chocolate and pour batter into prepared tin.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack and cut into roughly 5cm cubes.
- For the Chantilly cream cheese, whip cream and castor sugar to medium peaks and chill.
- Whip cream cheese and lemon juice together and add icing sugar.
- Add a quarter chilled whipped cream and mix well.
- Fold through remaining cream and chill in fridge.
- Arrange cake cubes on top of set jelly, sprinkle with almonds and spoon over chocolate mousse.
- Serve topped with Chantilly cream cheese, fresh berries, mint and meringue kisses.