Less than 30 minutes (+ 1 hour prep and chilling)
Share with friends
- 200g LURPAK unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup (150g) caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla essence
- 2 ⅓ cup (350g) plain flour, sifted + extra for dusting
- 2 ⅓ cup (305g) icing sugar
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) lemon juice
- 2-4 Tbsp (30-60ml) water
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Cream together LURPAK butter and sugar until light and fluffy, using an electric whisk.
- Add egg and vanilla essence and whisk until combined.
- Add flour, whisking until a dough forms (scrape sides and bottom of the bowl as you go).
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface, pressing to form a single ball. (On a hot day, you might need to chill the dough at this point for a few minutes if the mixture is very soft.)
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured work surface to about ½ cm thick.
- Cut out shapes using assorted cookie cutters and place onto a lined baking tray. Re-roll off-cuts and repeat until all the dough is used.
- Chill biscuits for 15-30 minutes or until firm.
- Bake on the middle rack for 8-12 minutes or until just coloured on the edges. (Remember, cookies will only become crisp once cool.)
- Remove biscuits and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- For icing, sift icing sugar and stir in lemon juice
- Add a tablespoon of water at a time until the mixture has a thick toothpaste-like texture.
- Place icing in a piping bag and decorate biscuits.
- Place biscuits on a wire rack until icing is set.
- Serve or store in an airtight container.