Less than 45 minutes
IMAGE CREDIT Stylist: Anke Roux Photographer: Michael le Grange
We’ve taken inspiration from the delicious Korean fermented cabbage condiment to freshen up a pantry staple.
- ¼-½ head white cabbage, leaves separated and sliced
- 2 tsp (10ml) salt
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4cm knob ginger, grated
- 1 tsp (5ml) cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp (10ml) paprika
- Glug vegetable oil
- 2 tsp (10ml) sesame oil
- 6 cups (1.5L) cooked rice, chilled
- ¼ cup (60ml) light soy sauce
- Salt and milled pepper
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 4-8 boiled eggs, quartered
- ½ packet (50g) cashew nuts, toasted
- 1-2 Tbsp (15-20ml) sesame seeds
- Place cabbage in a colander and scatter with remaining kimchi ingredients.
- Toss ingredients through cabbage with your fingertips.
- Set aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Squeeze any excess juices from the cabbage, reserving the liquid.
- Heat vegetable and sesame oils in a pan and stir-fry rice and cabbage for 5 minutes until rice is crispy.
- Add soy sauce and a few tablespoons of reserved kimchi juices and toss to combine.
- Spoon into bowls and top with spring onion, eggs, cashews and sesame seeds just before serving.