- 2 cups (500ml) sugar
- Juice (240ml) and grated peel of 4 lemons
- ½ cup (125ml) butter, cut into knobs and chilled
- 4 large eggs, whisked
- 4-6 slices PnP Madeira cake
- ½ cup (125ml) cream, whipped
- ¼ cup (60ml) pecan nuts, chopped
- Pour sugar, lemon peel and juice and butter into a heatproof bowl.
- Place bowl over a tight-fitting pot of simmering water, the glass not touching the water.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until sugar has dissolved and butter has melted.
- Add eggs to the bowl and continue to cook, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon (about 15-20 minutes).
- Pour lemon curd into warm, sterile jars. Cool to room temperature.
- Slice cake and layer into serving glasses with cream and lemon curd. Use 3 tablespoonfuls of lemon curd per glass.
- Serve sprinkled with nuts.
Leftover curd can stay in the fridge for up to two weeks and is delicious with scones or pancakes.