More than 1 hour
- Glug olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 8 cups (2L) vegetable stock or mushroom stock (see cook’s note)
- 1 PnP bouquet garni (herb and spice parcel)
- 1 cup (200g) dried red lentils
- ½ cup (100g) green split peas
- ½ cup (100g) red and white quinoa
- 1 punnet (100g) sliced PnP shiitake mushrooms.
- Salt and milled pepper
- Dash of balsamic vinegar
- Crusty bread or croutons, for serving
- Heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, and carrots.
- Sauté for about 15 minutes or until browned.
- Add garlic and fry for another minute.
- Pour in chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock or mushroom stock and add bouquet garni.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Tip in red lentils and green split peas and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Add red and white quinoa and shiitake mushrooms.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes until lentils and quinoa are cooked.
- Season with salt, pepper, and a dash of balsamic vinegar.
- Serve warm with crusty bread or croutons, if you like.