More than 1 hour
Makes 4½ litres
Share with friends
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) olive oil
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1.3kg stewing beef or beef goulash
- ½ cup (125ml) cornflour
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 large packet (100g) tomato paste
- 1 cup (250ml) red wine (optional)
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 6 carrots, grated
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) ground coriander
- 1 tsp (5ml) salt
- 6 cups (1.5L) beef stock
- 2 cans (400g each) chopped and peeled tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) sugar
- ½ cup (125g) butter (optional)
- 2 cans (400g) each black beans and corn kernels
- 2 tsp (10ml) paprika
- Sour cream
- Sliced avocado
- Fresh coriander
- Nacho chips
- Heat oil in a large 6-8L pot.
- Season beef and lightly coat with cornflour, dusting off excess.
- Brown beef in batches (this prevents steaming).
- Remove beef and set aside.
- Sauté onion and celery for 8-10 minutes or until golden, adding more oil if needed.
- Add garlic and tomato paste and cook until sticky.
- Add wine (if using) and reduce by half.
- Return meat and add herbs, carrots, Worcestershire sauce, coriander, salt, stock., tomatoes and sugar.
- Simmer for 1½-2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Add butter and stir until melted.
- Stir through beans, corn and paprika and season.
- Serve soup topped with dollops of sour cream, avocado, fresh coriander and nacho chips on the side.