Less than 1 hour
Rum and Raisin Whipped Butter
Makes about 2½ cups
- 1 cup (250ml) raisins
- 1 block (500g) butter, softened
- ½ tub (115g) cream cheese, softened
- 2–3 Tbsp (30–35ml) dark rum
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- Hot cross buns, waffles, pancakes or flapjacks, for serving
- Soak raisins for 30 minutes in boiling-hot water, then drain and blitz.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Add cream cheese, rum, blitzed raisins, cinnamon and salt.
- Mix well.
- Serve on toasted hot cross buns waffles, pancakes or flapjacks.
Hot Cross Bun French Toast
- 2 eggs, whisked
- ½ cup (125ml) cream
- 2 tubs (115g each) granadilla pulp + extra for drizzling
- Pinch salt
- Pinch cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla essence
- Butter or oil, for frying
- 1 packet (6) PnP raisin-free hot cross buns, halved
- Scented mascarpone (see Cook’s note)
- Sliced mango
- Whisk together eggs, cream, granadilla pulp, salt, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Heat a knob of butter or glug of oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Dip half a bun in egg mixture, turning to coat well.
- Allow excess liquid to drip off.
- Fry until golden and crisp on both sides, about 5–8 minutes per side.
- Repeat with remaining buns.
- Serve topped with scented mascarpone, mango slices and a drizzle of granadilla pulp.