Less than 30 minutes
- 800g beef mince
- 2 tsp (10ml) each ground coriander and cumin
- 1 tsp (5ml) salt
- Milled pepper
- ½ punnet (10g) fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) olive or canola oil, for frying
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) each ground coriander, ground cumin and paprika
- 1 tsp (5ml) cayenne pepper or chilli flakes
- 1 can (400g) peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 1 can (400g) tomato puree
- 1 can (400g) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (400g) corn kernels, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp (5ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) cocoa powder
- Fresh coriander or parsley
- Lime or lemon juice
- Tortilla chips or rice
- Sour cream (optional)
- Combine meatball ingredients in a bowl.
- Roll mixture into golf-ball-sized balls.
- Heat half the oil in a large pan over high heat.
- Fry meatballs in batches until browned and crisp all over, about 3-5 minutes. (Don’t crowd the pan or they will steam instead.) Remove and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to pan and sauté onion and red pepper for about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add garlic and spices, fry for a minute, then add other sauce ingredients.
- Cook sauce for 2-3 minutes.
- Nestle meatballs in sauce, cover and cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes (or in the oven at 200°C for 10 minutes).
- Sprinkle with coriander and dress with lime or lemon juice.
- Serve meatballs in sauce with rice or tortilla chips and sour cream.