More than 1 hour
- 1½ cups (375ml) water
- ½ cup (125ml) tricolour quinoa
- Salt and milled pepper
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) butter
- ½ cup (125ml) fresh herbs (such as parsley, coriander and basil), chopped
- ½ cup (125ml) dried figs, chopped
- 1 large (about 1.4kg) free-range chicken
- Olive oil
- 6 carrots, scrubbed and quartered
- 2 red onions, quartered
- 1 bulb garlic, halved
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) honey
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Boil water and simmer quinoa with a dash of salt until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender.
- Sauté onion and garlic in butter.
- Add cooked quinoa, herbs and figs. Season.
- Rub chicken with oil and salt.
- Stuff chicken with the quinoa mixture and tie the legs together with kitchen twine.
- Toss carrots, onion, garlic, honey and thyme in a roasting tray.
- Place chicken on top of veg and drizzle with 2 tsp (10ml) olive oil.
- Roast for 1.5 hours, until chicken is golden and meat juice runs clear from a cut made in the thickest part of the thigh.
- Serve hot with roasted vegetables.