Less than 1 hour
Makes 16 bars
- ⅓ cup (67g) castor sugar
- 1⅕ cups (300g) butter, softened
- 1⅓ cups (250g) flour
- 1 can (385g) condensed milk
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) golden syrup
- Generous pinch salt
- ½ packet (75g) plain pretzel sticks
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line the base of a 20cm square tin with baking paper.
- Stir sugar and ¾ cup (180g) butter together until smooth.
- Sieve in flour and mix to form a soft dough.
- Press an even layer into prepared tin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden. Set aside to cool.
- Heat condensed milk, syrup and ½ cup (125g) butter in a saucepan.
- Stir over a low heat until sugar has melted.
- Increase heat and simmer until thickened to a fudge consistency and dark in colour.
- Stir in salt.
- Pour hot caramel carefully over biscuit layer and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Top with pretzels and set aside to cool completely.
- Slice into bars with a warm knife.
- Serve or store in an airtight container.